...the weathermen call for a BLIZZARD, everyone panics, leaves work early, causes major traffic jams, panics a little more, prays to the high heavens to save them from this dooming apocalypse - and we get a few inches of snow:(
I was eagerly anticipating the blizzard headed our way a few days ago - and had dreams of tea, blankets, movies, and NO SCHOOL. I was even had dreams of fun adventures of traversing snow mounds in the name of Starbucks.
No such luck. Instead, everyone has to work/drive/live amongst the cold and slushiness that is a Chicago winter. So, while everyone on the east coast is "livin' the dream", I thought I'd pay homage to my cute little home here in the Chi, especially since I am not snowed in there right now:(
A few months ago, the hubs and I moved into a vintage condo overlooking the Chicago River in a complex called Marina City, affectionately referred to by many as "the corncobs".

(Photo taken by my hubby)
You may recognize the lovely round buildings from this amazing album cover (Any Wilco fans out there???):

At first, I was a little skeptical since the buildings are so "vintage", but the history behind them has really grown on me. The buildings were constructed in 1964 and once housed an ice rink, bowling alley and movie theater. Now, they are connected to the House of Blues and the Hotel Sax. Each of the 450 units has a 175 square foot balcony that is just perfect for entertaining in the summer (we've hosted many a wine/game night). So while everyone else is snuggled up at home, I am going to imagine summers on the balcony with this view (since it is currently covered in snow):

(Another photo taken by my hubby from our balcony. He's dreamy.)
Sigh. If I can't stay home, all snuggled up and snowed in, then I need summer to make it's way here ASAP. Do not pass "Go" and do not collect $200.
What are YOU dreaming about this winter???
I'm dreaming of SUMMER!
ReplyDeleteWe should totally get together the next time I'm in your area - I have family around there that I visit quite a few times a year!
I can't believe you live right there - how COOL! I am so jealous of your city girl life! :)
ReplyDeletethose chi town pics make me want to hop a plane now and head right to the snow.
ReplyDeletebtw you know you're from cali when...the weathermen call for a some snow and "everyone panics, leaves work early, causes major traffic jams, panics a little more, prays to the high heavens to save them from this dooming apocalypse" and we get melted ice.
yes, this did happen.
Krysten, I would love to get together!!! Just let me know next time you're in the area!
ReplyDeleteI'm dreaming of spring. Can't come fast enough.
ReplyDeleteI am dreaming of St. Patty's Day and the river turning Green and good Guiness!
ReplyDeleteYou live in the coolest apt building!
ReplyDeleteOH my gosh girl you are so lucky to live in such a place. I love it! Wow and the view is awesome...
ReplyDeleteNo I have not got my headbands yet but have been thinking about them.
Will do a post on them as soon as I get them..
Thank you again for drawing my name
Maggie
What an amazing apt building - so lovely and I want spring to be here pronto!
ReplyDeletenice post!
ReplyDeletei hope you have a great valentines day♥
& beautiful city pic!! amazing!