We made it! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, you are looking at the proud graduates of our pre-cana workshop. Ignore the fact that this photo was taken the night before at the Old Town Ale House (hence the smiles on our faces). Actually, it wasn't all that bad. As predicted, we received a workbook AND we actually did get to write love letters to one another! The couple who moderated the workshop was fantastic - they were 60 years old, and instead of shoving religion down our throats, they discussed the ups and downs of marriage. I loved the fact that they shared personal stories (like getting into a fight over Christmas lights) and fact that they were very open and honest was so refreshing. In addition to our discussions on finances, religion, children and sexuality (and I didn't even giggle), I learned a few key points:
* In the state of Illinois, it's easier to get married than it is to get a fishing license.
* The average bride spends 20 hours finding the perfect dress, 25 hours agonizing over the guest list, and at least 20 hours looking for the right venue. Guess how much time the average groom spends looking for the right attire? 2 HOURS! Figures. The point is that we spend an average of 175 hours planning just ONE day - and we spend an average of 5 hours preparing for the actual marriage itself - which will last the rest of our lives.
* "Honesty is the first casualty of a good marriage." (As in, men should lie when their wives ask if their asses look fat.)
Overall, I think Mike and I walked away from the day pleasantly surprised about how interesting the day actually was and even more excited about getting married:)
I believe those wedding stats in a heartbeat. Congrats on making it through the weekend.
ReplyDeletePS I'm a wannabe hipster too. Although I kind of like to make fun of them.