1.26.2015

My 2015 "Word"

As many of you know, I don't believe in resolutions. I've made them in the past, and rarely stuck with them. So last year, after I read a few blog posts that suggested committing to a "word" instead, I figured that approach allowed me to make changes without setting strict goals. Letting a word guide my every day thoughts and actions was far more realistic for me, and I like to think that I did my best to maintain it.

Last year's "word" was "balance". With a new baby, and returning to work after four months of maternity leave, I strived to balance motherhood, marriage, work and friendships. And while I wasn't perfect in every aspect, I really tried my best.

This year, after much thought, I've decided to commit to the word "nourish", which is defined as:



...to provide (someone or something) with food and other things that are needed to live, be healthy, etc.

...to cause (something) to develop or grow stronger


I really love both definitions, and I think the word applies to so many aspects of my life. For instance...


* I want to nourish my body. From clean eating (which I am KICKING ASS with, btw), to consistent exercise, I want to make sure that I am nourishing myself physically. I've always loved to work out, but lately, I've been trying to focus on a balance of intense cardio HIIT workouts, and the strength and stretching of barre classes at The Dailey Method. As for the food, well, I love to eat, too. And I know this sounds horribly cheesy, but as of late, before I eat anything, I simply ask myself if it will "nourish" the body (and sometimes the mind, especially when it comes to coffee). For me, this simple question has worked.

Untitled


(Right now, I am digging HIIT treadmill workouts, as well as CrossFit-type workouts. Pinterest has been an awesome resource for these!)

* I want to nourish my mind. For me, this can be achieved simply by taking more time to read. Now that our bedroom is completed, I've found that it's become such a relaxing space, and I enjoy just hanging out in bed and reading a good book.


(Are you tired of my bedroom pics yet?  Because I'm not!)

* I want to nourish my relationships. Whether it's a date night with Mike or brunch with friends, I need to embrace these opportunities as they arise, whether I "feel like it" or not.  And when it comes to my sweet little baby lady, I want to continue to just enjoy my time with her, regardless of other crap I need to get done.


Just hanging out with my girl this morning! 😍 Happy Thursday, folks!

(My little bestie. We took some time last week to snuggle before rushing out the door. It made my day.)

Do you have a "word" for 2015?  Or resolutions?  Tell me about them!

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. I love that pic of you and your 'baby lady'! :D You are wise to embrace those moments cuz man it all flies by. Just took my teenager to high school orientation last week. Whhaaaat??
    I think nourish is a great word. I didn't think I had a word for the year until it came to me in the pool of all places. BREATHE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great word Meghan! (I might have to steal this for myself for next year!) As for this year, I'm going with "patience" with baby on the way. I love the idea of a word rather than a list of resolutions. You've got it girl!

    PS- there is a Valpo alum event- bball game in Milwaukee on Feb 15th...I think we are going to go to it...do you guys ever go to that kind of stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this word is just perfect for you and I love how it can fit into so many aspects of your life!

    My word is write and I am not doing a very good job with it right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great word!

    I finally posted about my word today too, it's speak.

    I really love this approach to starting a new year. A whole list of resolutions is daunting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a great word for 2015! I'm interested to hear more about what you're eating and reading. I'm always looking for new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolute perfection! What a perfect word. And thank you for inspiring me. I've got the fitness thing down but I am having the HARDEST time getting back on track with food. I just LOVE the idea of asking myself whether this will nourish my body or not. And applying nourish to so many areas of your life is amazing. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great word!! this would fit with my lifestyle too. i have never fully given thought to "following" a word for a year but it makes sense. nourish is a fantastic word, one i might take into consideration as well. especially when it comes to relationships with friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute photo of you two! I think you picked a great word for 2015! I can't wait to see what you do to achieve it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...