10.09.2014

My Thoughts on the Marathon

If you've been reading my little blog for awhile now, then you know that this Sunday has been a long time coming.  Because this Sunday, I will be running the Chicago Marathon after YEARS of attempting to do so.  Here's the abbreviated history for you in case you forgot:

2007: Signed up for the marathon.  Got a stress fracture in August.  Looking back, I SHOULD have gotten a stress fracture.  I made TONS of training mistakes.

2008: Signed up for the marathon.  Pretty much quit training in September when "life" got in the way (i.e. moving, work).

2013: Signed up for the marathon.  Didn't realize I was pregnant at the time:)

2014: Signed up for the marathon.  OMG! I ACTUALLY MADE IT THIS FAR!

So, here we are.  I honestly cannot believe I made it through the training cycle, injury-free, and with a baby.  It's definitely been challenging to fit in the training, and to be honest, my training was nowhere near perfect.  I missed several shorter runs during the week, and lowered two of my long runs (17 down to 12, and 12 down to 8 - but in my defense, that 8-mile run was at the Super Spartan, which, in my opinion, was probably harder than the marathon itself).

Anyway, I know it's customary for bloggers to share their A, B and C goals before any big race, but my biggest goal?  I just want to finish with a smile on my face.  I always said that if I can make it to the start line, I can figure out the rest.  I know 26.2 miles will be hard, but it doesn't scare me. 


ChicagoMarathon09

So yeah.  This will be my first full marathon, and I am pumped.  Overall, I've been really quiet about my training for fear that I wouldn't be able to get to the start line, but the training has gone well.  I've learned that my body is so much stronger than I give it credit for - especially after having a baby.  I've learned that this whole endeavor is SUCH a mental game for me - I found that I was far more motivated to tackle longer distances when I was with a group as opposed to by myself. 

FNRC
(See?  I need group support.  Here's the pre-20 mile FNRC photo.  Can you spot me?  I'm wearing my marathon outfit!)

Don't get me wrong.  I'm definitely nervous.  I literally have no one to run with - I don't know anyone who is in my start corral.  But I plan to just enjoy the crowds and the city, and take it one mile at a time.  And for those of you coming out, thank you SO much!  :)

Before I sign off, and try not to throw up between now and Sunday, I have to thank a few people for supporting me through all of this, including:

* The ladies of the FNRC - especially Amanda, Kelly and Jill.  Amanda is running the Grand Rapids marathon next weekend, so we had a similar training schedule, which was so nice.  She's been such a great source of advice and support! Kelly and I ran the Super Spartan together, and without Kelly, I never would have started running with the FNRC.  And Jill is another FNRC runner that I met through Amanda and Kelly, and she was always so incredibly supportive and enthusiastic during each training run, especially when I really needed it.  Thank you so much, ladies!  

* Marcia, my coach extraordinaire!  She understood my crazy schedule, and gave me a plan that I could tackle that was manageable.  She constantly encouraged me along the way, and gave me the tough love when I needed it.  Thanks for believing in me, Marcia!

* And of course, Mikey and Layla.  I know they both made sacrifices to make this happen for me, even though I tried my best not to let the training interfere with our time as a family.  Mikey has always been my rock, and my #1 fan.  I could not do this without him.  I love you so much, Boo:)


Any advice for this marathon newbie?

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. How so stinking exciting for you!!! I am so glad it's all worked out for you this year. You're going to rock it!! Maybe one day I can be as cool as you and run a marathon. You are a beast!!! Best wishes to you come Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! This is your first marathon so the goal to get from point A to point B is a great one. Anything else is just icing on the cake. Enjoy the miles and take it all in. All the training is the work you've been putting in and now you get to cash your paycheck! I'm running Detroit the same day as your friend running GR. GR was my first (and so far only) marathon and it's a great course too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck lady! We're headed there on Sat! The hubs is running!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're going to do great!!! I do not have advice, as my marathon was awful. But you have done all you can so just have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay!!! Advice - Start slow and finish strong. Trust your training - Marcia is a smart cookie. Stick with your plan. Savor every moment!! HAVE FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 4th time's the charm girl! So SO proud of you for pushing through with your training despite everything going on. Think of that when the going gets tough. I have no doubt you'll be great. Chi is a fun first marathon in that there's so much to soak in. Just trust your training and enjoy it. Thanks so much for the shout! It's an honor to be a part of your journey. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck to you on Sunday!!! I'll be spectating at miles 18, 23 and the finish while doing my own long run, so I'll definitely be thinking about you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! You're going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I already know the outcome but I am SO happy that you finally made it to the start line of your first marathon! You did amazing too, you should be proud! Can't wait to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited for you!!! You've worked so hard!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...