I ran the Chicago Marathon. And finished. And met my "secret" time goal. AND WAS SUPER HAPPY THE ENTIRE TIME (Ok, minus a few miles...), because, I WAS RUNNING A MARATHON! FINALLY!
I am seriously still so emotional when I think about Sunday. I've wanted this for SO long. I've waited on injury and pregnancy, and I still can't believe that it actually happened. This day was SIX YEARS in the making.
So, I suppose we should start at the beginning, no?
Expo:
I decided to hit the expo right after work on Friday. I got downtown in record time for a Friday afternoon and spent about an hour at the expo. I bought the "Run Chicago" Sparkly Soul headband, and I thought I'd end my shopping there when I discovered the huge Nike booth. I decided to buy one of the marathon shirts, because, hey, I was actually running the marathon...and then I saw the capris. Despite the fact that I had tested my marathon outfit during my 20-miler, and the fact that I knew it was a rookie mistake, I went ahead and purchased new capris for race day. Shockingly enough, I made the right choice:)
Saturday:
My in-laws very graciously offered to come into town on Saturday and watch Layla. That way, I was able to head to the city on Saturday night and get settled with my brother and sister-in-law, and Mike would drive down first thing on Sunday. My sister-in-law and I went to dinner with a few friends to celebrate their birthdays, and I returned to their place in the South Loop for an early bedtime. However, I hadn't factored in that I was too nervous/excited to sleep - and I had to deal with their very sweet but very clingy dog who wanted to snuggle all night. Needless to say, I think I got about four hours of sleep the night before:)
Sunday:
My alarm went off at 5:15 a.m., and despite the little sleep, I was wide awake and ready to go. I had two bananas, a waffle with peanut butter and some coffee before I left. I decided to walk to Grant Park, stopping at Starbucks along the way for water and coffee. I basically just hung out in the Corral H area and stretched, relaxed, etc. before it was time to line up!
(I couldn't have asked for a better day. The weather was perfect.)
(The view from Corral H!)
Mile 1-6
Miles 1-6 FLEW by! I felt awesome, and the crowds were simply electric! I saw Mike twice, and the "two Jens" - one friend from college and another from work. Splits were spot on - 10:31, 10:33, 10:32, 10:22, 10:20 - and then 17:24. Yep! I lost seven minutes when I decided to use the bathrooms in Lincoln Park. I was really bummed about it, but hey. I had to pee.
Miles 7-13
I think I overcompensated a bit for missing that time at the bathrooms, and coupled with the crazy crowds, I continued to feel awesome for the next six miles or so. One of my favorite stretches was in Lakeview - the music was fantastic, and I loved the energy. I saw the two "Jens" again, as well as my friend Christy, and despite tripping on a sewer, everything felt great. Splits: 10:04, 10:23, 10:24, 10:38, 10:28, 10:18, 10:28.
Miles 14-17
Despite the fact that I saw Mike twice in the West Loop (plus Marty & Megan), I started to feel a bit tired here. I finally turned on my music, and tried to focus. My friend Sarah jumped in to run with me around mile 16, and I was really grateful for her company. However, I noticed that my foot was bothering me, so right around mile 17, I "pulled over" to check it out. Turns out, my toenail was starting to fall off. Immediately after, I saw Kelly and Patsy! Splits: 10:42, 10:31, 10:14, 12:18
Miles 18-21
While I definitely slowed down, I still felt pretty great. I saw Jen again at mile 20 (and everytime I saw her, I cried - we used to run around and spectate the marathon together, and here I was, actually running it!), and I just tried to focus on putting one foot in front of the other. This was easy to do with the crowds in Pilsen - they were AMAZING! Splits: 10:48, 10:44, 11:18, 11:20
Miles 22-24
Yeah. By this point, I was over it. I saw Mike at mile 23, and Sarah jumped in with me once again. I was pretty crabby at this point, and the stretch back up Michigan felt like it took forever. I tried to only walk through water stations up to this point, but I took a few walk breaks in these final miles. Splits: 11:20, 11:38, 11:40.
Miles 25-27 (Garmin measured 27.17 miles)
At this point, I was PUMPED! I couldn't fight back the tears, and as we cruised up Michigan, I was just smiling from ear to ear. As I made the turn onto Roosevelt, I ran right by my "hat buddy" from the start. He was walking, and I gave him a pat on the back. He ran into the finisher's chute with me, and even though I don't know his name, it's cool that we started and finished the race together. Splits: 10:53, 12:55
(The first, and probably only time, I'll order the "official" photo. Here I am, eyeing the finish line!)
Garmin time: 27.17 miles in 4:49:03 (avg. pace 10:38) / Official time: 26.2 miles in 4:49:02.
(Post-marathon selfie. I finally got one of those ridiculous mylar blankets!)
(My parents decorated our house with balloons and signs!)
(Post-marathon hot tub soak!)
I definitely learned a lot from this entire experience, from training to just how capable I am of running 26.2 miles. There were a lot of early mornings, and questions about whether I could actually accomplish this goal without injury. But, I did it, and even though it wasn't perfect, I am so proud of myself. I always said that I'd never run another marathon after this, but for me, this experience was similar to childbirth. My delivery sucked, but as soon as I held Layla in my arms, I knew I would do it all over again in a second. And that's exactly how I feel about running another marathon. I know how lucky I am to have supportive family and friends who helped me achieve this goal. And I also know how lucky I am that my body was strong enough to make this happen. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Just don't tell my husband, ok? I think he's exhausted:)
Congratulations! So excited for you! It was a great day and I thought the race was awesome too. I had run it in 2010 as my first but enjoyed it so much more the second time around. Very, very excited for you and loved reading the excitement in your words! Enjoy your race high! You are a marathoner! xo
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! You did amazing and your pacing was perfect! Enjoy the feeling of being a marathoner!
ReplyDeleteCongrats!! Awesome recap. Yes, I understand what you mean about doing it again. I caught the bug the first time I ran it (despite a craptastic run) and have been back ever since. I also have that neon Mini hat and love that race! :)
ReplyDeleteYou go girl! So inspiring...what a rockstar! I hope I can do that (or more like a half) when I have a little one!
ReplyDeleteYay! Congrats! I am so happy you FINALLY got to do this, and that you loved it! You should so do another! And your delivery did NOT suck! You rocked it! So proud of you!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!! It took a while for the "holy crap, I just ran a marathon!" feeling to go away for me -- enjoy it!!
ReplyDeleteYEAH!!! Excellent time and a great recap. You did fantastic and should be so proud :)
ReplyDeletecongrats!!! I totally agree, marathons are like childbirth, LOL, months of preparation, it hurts a lot but its the forgettable kind of pain, and then the after part is the BEST!! and then you want more and more!!! Great recap!! You rocked it!
ReplyDeleteI see the runners' amnesia has kicked in! Haha! I'm absolutely thrilled everything came together and you had a great race. Truly Chicago has some of the best fans anywhere and they make me proud to call Chi my hometown. Way to rock it! Are those snake print capris???
ReplyDeleteThis makes me SO SO SO happy!!! Congratulations!!!!!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your first marathon! It's such a great accomplishment! I ran my first last October and I'm getting to run the same one as my second one! So the big question....will you do another one? I would love to run Chicago one day!
ReplyDeleteGreat job on your first marathon, and yes, I said first because that feeling of accomplishment makes you want to do it again and again.
ReplyDeleteAwesome finish time!!!! Congrats on your first! Would you do another? This was my second.
ReplyDelete~Wendy
Yaaaaaaaaaay! This is SO DARN AWESOME!! I'm so happy for you! YOU!! GET!!! ALL!!! THE!! EXCLAMATION!!! POINTS!!! :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, ahem, on a more serious note: I'm running a marathon on Sunday and have been a bit ho-hum about it...until your race report. Thanks for the energy you brought to this race report, I love it.
Congratulations!!!! Amazing finish and great race story. Way to go!
ReplyDeleteCongrats!!! I knew you could do it! Have you ever thought of an ironman?
ReplyDeleteYou are amazing! Congratulations!!!
ReplyDeleteDAMN GIRL! I had tears in my eyes just reading it! Congratulations!!!
ReplyDeleteThat's so awesome!! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteEEEEEEE Yay!!! Congratulations again! You did great and you were really consistent with your paces! Amazing! (I can't believe your watch got over 27 miles, probably one downside to city running). I'm so happy you want to do another one and I know you will do even more amazing next time!
ReplyDeleteAMAZING!!!!! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteYou are such a badass! Congratulations, girlfriend! Way to rock it!
ReplyDeleteI just LOVE this! And you may have just given me the push I needed to pursue a marathon next year!
ReplyDelete