Speaking of the taper, I did NOT think that finishing a Super Spartan race would be a part of the process. HOLY COW, you guys. This was by far the hardest thing I've ever done. Months ago, my friend (and fellow runner blogger turned mama) Kelly hosted a giveaway for a free race entry, and I won! I also anticipated that I'd spend many months training and I'd be in the best shape of my life for this race. Yeah. While I thought I was in great shape, Spartan told me otherwise.
For those who aren't familiar, the Spartan series is the MOTHER of all trail running / obstacle races. They offer several distances: Spartan Sprint (3 miles), Super Spartan (8 miles), Spartan Beast (12 miles), and Ultra Beast (26 miles). Kelly and I ran the Super Spartan on Saturday, and I CANNOT imagine going any further than that. Additionally, there are 20+ obstacles along the way, that are a "true test of will". And if you cannot complete them? The penalty is 30 burpess!
* Leaping over fire (This is the LAST one, btw. Also, this chick looks like a total beast.)

* Climbing over SO MANY walls. I was AWFUL at this, and definitely needed a boost from some of the very muscular dudes running the race, who were happy to oblige. The cool thing about Spartan? Everyone helps each other!
* Ropes. And mud.
And folks, those are the EASY ones. Let me start at the beginning.
Kelly and I made our way to Marseilles, IL early on Saturday morning for our Super Spartan. While we had both done a little research on what to expect, I think we approached this with an "ignorance is bliss" attitude, as we were both equally excited and terrified. Thanks to Oiselle, we were totally decked out and ready to go!

(Obligatory "beast" photo!)
(A Spartan tip: Wear tight clothing that covers your knees. And trail shoes.)
Before our wave, we watched some of the elite men and women finish (it takes the elite runners about 80 minutes to finish an 8+ mile Super Spartan, btw), and tried to watch their strategy and form on some of the final obstacles.
When we got to the start, and I saw that I had to climb over a 5-6 foot wall JUST TO START, I knew I was in trouble. I mean, I figured I could handle the run, but I was also petrified of injuring myself two weeks before the marathon. I honestly believe that had I just thrown caution to the wind, I would have felt a bit more confident with the obstacles.
I honestly couldn't tell you how many obstacles we did, or in what order they came. I will say this about the race:
* The obstacles are HARD. I definitely skipped a few because I was afraid of injury, or because I knew I wouldn't be able to do it. But, at the same time, I am SO proud of what I did accomplish. I was much better at the strength obstalces than I thought, like the tire pull below:
* There was mud. Everywhere. I literally lost count of the muddy water pits we had to wade through (where the water was waist-high). But honestly? It felt so refreshing!

* The run, which was probably the easiest part for me, was also extremely challenging. The hills were so steep that at certain points, I was crawling on my hands and knees, or using tree branches to pull myself up the hills. (As a result, I am SO glad I wore running capris to cover my knees. They are STILL all scraped up, so I cannot imagine what they would look like if I had worn shorts.)
* It was SO well organized. The sense of community at these Spartan races is incredible. Kelly and I received so much help and motivation. The course was well-marked, the after-party was awesome, and I honestly have no complaints about the race logistics.

(We finished! Honestly, at the time, I swore I'd never do this again. But now? As soon as the marathon is over, this mama is going to incorporate some CrossFit into her life. Beast mode, here I come.)
Have I convinced you to give it a shot? With upcoming races in Milwaukee (stadium sprint), Dallas (sprint and beast distances) and Mississippi (sprint), Spartan is generously giving away one free entry to a Spartan race of your choice. (Note: This entry is for a non-confirmed, open wave start time within the continential U.S.) And don't worry! If you don't win, I also have a code that I will share for 10% off your registration!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

I would honestly give it to my husband!!! He loves Spartan races, and I hate being dirty 😜 call it a new dad gift!
ReplyDeleteYou rock mama!!! Spartan is no joke!!! Great job!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on finishing it! The weather and course were absolutely beautiful this year. I would love to win the entry to try the Spartan Beast in another state...because 8 miles and a crap ton of obstacles isn't enough ;) I've done the Super twice and the rush you get from completing it is like no other-hopefully you do it again next year!
ReplyDeleteHoly cow. I am terrified of wall-climbing (bad flashbacks from childhood gym class), and those obstacles sound INTENSE. I think you were very smart to skip a few of the crazier obstacles because the last thing you want to do is hurt yourself in the final few weeks prior to the marathon. GREAT JOB on finishing and way to push through!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I am happy you had a friend to do this with, and found a "community" feel about it! I totally relied on my friends to help me go over the walls at the MKE one last year! :) I am still on the "never again" boat though. Ha ha!
ReplyDeleteWay to go!!! This is my husband's favorite race and he was signed up to participate but ended up having knee surgery just a few weeks ago and had to drop out. I would love to win the entry and give it to him for next year! Glad that you liked it and had fun!!
ReplyDeleteI was registered for the Super but decided to transfer my entry to a friend because I was so worried about injuries so close to my Marathon. This will be my first marathon so I didn't want to take any chances. The plan is to finish the Trifecta next year though!
ReplyDeleteId love to run a Spartan Race! The wind, mud and sweat running through your hair and eyes, the joy of challenging yourself to the limits and having a cold beer at the end! What's not to love?!?!
ReplyDeleteSpartan's are the most mentally and physically challenging OCR's out there. I'd love to go and compete in the hardest out there next year in Vermont.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! I would love this! Beezy is running the Sprint later this month in Sacramento cause he's already done one of the races and I'd love to do one with him!
ReplyDeleteI've done a Spartan race before and the team work it takes to finish is so awesome. I wish I could do one every week
ReplyDeleteThis looks completely out of my comfort zone. I already know 2015 is going to be the year I take a bunch of risks and do things I wouldn't normally do. Why not get a jump on that starting now! AROO!
ReplyDeleteI would be able to earn my trifecta if i win this.
ReplyDeleteGreat job!!
ReplyDeleteI did a Tough Mudder this year. Would be cool to add a Spartan to my OCR resume. :)
ReplyDeleteYou beast! Way to rock it, momma.
ReplyDelete