1.) Next weekend is ZOOMA! HOLLA! I am beyond excited for ZOOMA, though I am sure I will be running slower than I'd like due to some hip soreness. Also, Mike and Layla will be joining me in the city! We found an awesome room downtown for a super decent price, so after the race, it's "family fun" day:)
A few things to note:
* You can STILL register for the 10K or the half-marathon. Don't forget to use "CAMB13" at checkout if you want a discount!
* On Friday, 8/1, ZOOMA & Honest Tea are hosting a "mocktail" party at the Radisson Blu. If you'd like to join us, you can register here. Hope to see you there!
2.) If running isn't your thing, but you're looking for some killer fitness in your life, and you LOVE baseball, why not check out the "Storm the Stadium" event??? It's a 6,000+ stair climb at U.S. Cellular Field on 9/6, and if you sign up, you can compete with contestants from the show "Survivor". Anywho, check it out, and if you're interested, you can enter code "RB10" for $10 off your registration (but you need to sign up by August 9th!).
3.) On Thursday night, I ran the Esprit de She 5K at Montrose Harbor. I had originally planned on running the 10K, but wanted to play it safe with my hip. Regardless, it was a GORGEOUS night for a run, and I FINALLY met up with bloggers before a race! (In the 8 years I lived in the city, I don't think I ever made a blogger pre-race meet-up. Now that I live in the 'burbs, it finally happened. Go figure.)

(From L to R: Katie of "Live Half Full" (and photo credit), Erica of "Erica Finds" (Note: I'm pretty sure I used to see Erica running along the lakefront all of the time before I moved!), Emily of "Out and About", Marcia of "Marcia's Healthy Slice" (and my coach extraordinaire!), and me!
I started the race at very back of the pack. I knew that this race could be hit or miss for me, given my hip soreness. About a quarter of a mile in, I spotted my friend Sarah and her friend Erin (who was running her first 5K ever)! We chatted for the next mile or so, and I had NO IDEA how fast I was going. It's been ages since I've run north of Montrose along the lake, and I just enjoyed the scenery. I logged the next two miles at my usual "long run" pace, but picked it up at the end. Overall, I just felt so happy to be out and about on a gorgeous night. So, to make a long story short, I ran my slowest 5K ever (34:05) - but my Garmin did measure a little over 3.2 miles, too.
4.) So, the hip. A few weeks ago, I started noticing tightness/soreness after each of my runs. It never really bothered me when I ran…just after. Like any paranoid runner, I went for a free injury screen at Athletico. The PT was pretty convinced that it was just muscular, but sent me to a sports doc just in case (I guess having a baby kind of messes up your body. Who would have thought?) The doc confirmed that my muscles are ridiculously tight, so I am undergoing some PT for the hip. Anyway, it's feeling SO much better (I get my ass kicked at PT twice/week), and I was able to meet Kelly for an awesome 8-miler this weekend. So, after ZOOMA next weekend it's time to kick my marathon training into high gear. EEK!
4.) So, the hip. A few weeks ago, I started noticing tightness/soreness after each of my runs. It never really bothered me when I ran…just after. Like any paranoid runner, I went for a free injury screen at Athletico. The PT was pretty convinced that it was just muscular, but sent me to a sports doc just in case (I guess having a baby kind of messes up your body. Who would have thought?) The doc confirmed that my muscles are ridiculously tight, so I am undergoing some PT for the hip. Anyway, it's feeling SO much better (I get my ass kicked at PT twice/week), and I was able to meet Kelly for an awesome 8-miler this weekend. So, after ZOOMA next weekend it's time to kick my marathon training into high gear. EEK!
(Umm, how adorable is Kelly's daughter Patsy? She needed to stretch out after the run, too!)
Well, that's all I have, folks! Happy Monday!
Well, that's all I have, folks! Happy Monday!
OMG I am DYING at PR's leg extension. Too cute! Awesome seeing you last week!
ReplyDeleteHaving a baby DOES wreck havoc on your body!!!! Ever since I gave birth (TWO YEARS AGO) I have had glute/hamstring issues. My chiropractor friend said it's because I have weak glutes and that is causing tight hamstrings. He gave me some exercises to do and they help but I've NEVER had a weak glute in my life. I'm not sure how my glutes got so weak from giving birth, but it is so frustrating. So, I totally feel your pain.
ReplyDeleteBummer about the hip! See you Friday and Saturday.
ReplyDeleteI am happy you are getting PT for your help! That was my thought... pregnancy related hip issues.
ReplyDeleteMeghan! It was so great getting to meet you in person finally last Thursday! It was a GORGEOUS night.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about the hip but I am relieved to hear that the PT is helping out so well. I am all about remedies that don't involve medication, you know? And PT can really work wonders.
I'll be at ZOOMA this weekend, too, so will see you again then! Twice in 10 days, yay!!!!
I'm jealous that you saw Marcia, I love her and hope to meet her some day! I hope your hip is feeling better, that is always scary because a stress fracture there seems much worse than in your foot!
ReplyDeleteYou go momma! Though I'm still keeping up with my running routine, I haven't raced in FOREVER. Needless to say I miss the challenge and I'm probably not running to the extent I should. I've got to kick my butt into gear! Can't wait to hear more about how ZOOMA went!
ReplyDeleteGlad its not an injury!!
ReplyDelete