(A little background: Mike and I met in 2004 at a wedding. We moved in together one year later, and lived together for three years before getting engaged. We were married in July of 2009, and started trying for a baby in December of 2011. However, as many of you know, it took us well over two years to get pregnant. We were about to undergo a battery of fertility tests when I found out I was pregnant with Layla. She was born on November 8, 2013, and here we are!)
1.) We DO argue, more than we used to.
I mean, let's be honest. All couples argue at one point or another. But honestly, Mike and I very rarely got into it before Layla came along. With my raging hormones, our lack of sleep, and our differences in opinion regarding how Layla should be handled, we have definitely gotten into some disagreemnets. But at the same time, I think we're much better about reflecting on those arguments after the fact.
2.) We have to work REALLY hard at finding time for "us".
Since Layla was born, I can count the number of "date nights" we've had on one hand. It isn't always easy to find child care, even with family so close by. So, we do what we can. We didn't want to get stuck in the rut of watching TV at night, so we sit outside, talk and listen to music.
(One of our many discussion topics? How our kid chews on everything…)
3.) We're a much stronger team.
We made it through pregnancy, buying a house one month before Layla arrived, moving, a rough labor & delivery, and almost eight months with a baby. Sure, we may disagree from time to time, but do you know what we discuss even more frequently? How lucky we are. How much we love our kid. How proud we are of her. And us, for raising her. And we did all of this, together. I think that's pretty awesome, and I think it's important to focus on the achievements.
(Our peanut…and her super model long legs. Seriously. Where did they come from?)
4.) We've learned more about each other - and from each other.
Mike is a very "hands-on" father. He also stays home with Layla during the school year a few days each week. So, he's really mastered things like nap time and feedings. He'll share the tricks and tips that he's learned with me. We've also learned to "read" one another better. I can usually sense when he needs a break, and vice versa.
(We're working on the whole "sippy cup" thing.)
5.) We've fallen more in love with each other.
When I see how Mike looks at Layla, and watch him play with her, sing to her, etc - I cannot help but fall in love with him all over again. And I will never, ever forget the way he looked at me while I was in labor. I could see love, pride, excitement, terror (it was a pretty rough few hours), and helplessness written all over his face (I know he felt badly for me and the pain I was enduring, and I know he wish he could have done something about it).
(Heart.Melting.)
6.) And I have to mention this: Mike definitely has not complained about my larger chest due to breast feeding. I'll leave it at that.
Do you have kids? How has your relationship changed?
This is such a great post!
ReplyDeleteWell, yes to all of this! We're only three weeks in but this totally resonates. Shockingly, I wasn't cray while pregnant and I've been VERY even keeled post baby (So maybe I was crazier without a baby??? hahaha) so we have fought LESS. Mind you, we are only three weeks in, there's still time! ;-) A main change is how much more Brian takes care of me. Post c section I was unable to do many basic things, and even the whole process of getting to the c section, he took care of EVERYTHING. I didn't have to think or even ask, he just did it. Even now with the baby he is so willing to do everything, it's truly admirable and deeper love inducing. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteBahahahahaha at #6. I can definitely relate to #3 - the challenges you go through as a couple can either tear you apart or bring you even closer together. Luckily all of our challenges have brought us closer and made our bond even stronger.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your honesty! I loved this post.
ReplyDeleteHaha #6 made me laugh ;) You guys seems to have a similar story as Mike and I (we met, started dating right away, moved in together and then took awhile to get engaged and then got married, but no kids for us). I'm glad that, for the most part, things have gotten stronger and better since Layla came around! And, if you didn't argue, that wouldn't be very normal :)
ReplyDeleteLove your honesty. I totally thought before we had kids we were on the same page about parenting. I had no idea how many descisions there are every day. When to stop swaddling. Amber teething necklaces. Can they eat a cookie at the coffee table. How to handle picky eating. It goes on and on.
ReplyDeleteI find this all very interesting. Iz and I are talking about whether or not we want to have kids (we're both on the fence and unsure but both realize if we decide we DO we need to kind of get moving) and I'll definitely be showing him this post.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Megan! It is great to see how involved Mike is and to hear your honest feelings and impressions. It definitely seems like a huge challenge not to lose yourself and what you have as a couple.
ReplyDeleteSuch a great post and so much to look forward to. Gosh, trying for ages and getting ready for tests sure changes the relationship in a different way too (that's where we are right now)
ReplyDeleteLOVED this post, Meghan. Can definitely relate to it. It's amazing having such a hands-on partner. I feel so much mommy guilt throughout the school year with my crazy schedule, but knowing that my hubby is there for me and loves being with our Kennedy, it makes me very proud. I gotta admit, I'm nervous about going from one to two, but I'm so lucky to have Greg. You've also reminded me we need a date night, too. :)
ReplyDeleteFantastic post!!! So honest and open and so true. You're doing fabulous, and I'm proud of you!!!!
ReplyDeleteNo kids for me. I laughed a lot at #6. Here to you and Mike and Layla!! She is adorable.
ReplyDeleteAw, I love this! You guys are so cute together and your family is too perfect!!
ReplyDelete