6.18.2014

Summer, So Far.

Y'all, before I begin, I have a few announcements:

* Don't forget about my super awesome 5-class package giveaway to Pure Barre!  I know you want to come join me for the fun!  AND…Pure Barre is now offering this awesome prize to TWO winners!  How amazing is that???

* On Saturday, 6/21, the Chicago Athleta store is hosting it's annual Summer Solstice event, which consists of free yoga, shopping and fun prizes.  Unfortunately, I am unable to attend, but I've always loved the Southport store, and Athleta in general, so go check it out!

So yeah.  Summer vacation is in full force in our household, and so far, I am loving every second of it.  It's definitely different - I've spent the past 8 summers living in Chicago without a baby.  Now, I am a suburban mom.  And yet while that may seem lame to some of you, I think it's just all about finding your own version of fun, right???  :)

image
(I get to spend my days with this sweet face.  No complaints here!)

* Baby Classes

Layla and I are enrolled in "Water Babies" and "Baby's Musical World" through our local park district, and OMG.  They are seriously the cutest.  She has really taken to the water - it's an indoor pool, so depending on the day, the water can be a little cold.  But this kid never complains.  Plus, she LOVES watching the other babies.

image
(Layla practiced her swimming at Grandma and Grandpa's house over the weekend.  She loved it!)

And the music class.  I think one of the reasons Layla loves it so much is the fact that the teacher, Miss Angie, has a beautiful voice, unlike mama.  Mama's singing sounds like a dying cow.

* Cooking

Here's the thing.  If you know me at all, you know that I DO.NOT.COOK.  It's not that I can't cook, it's that I don't want to.  Plus, Mike is so incredible in the kitchen, and our system just works for us.  But since I have the time, I've decided to pick up some of the load, and honestly?  I'm loving it.

I'm really not one for dieting.  I love food, I love to eat, and most of the time, I'm a pretty healthy eater.  And from experience, I know that restrictive diets just do not work for me.  So my focus this summer is just to eat "whole foods".  Weeding out the gluten, sugar and dairy (when I can) seems to fit best.  Here's a few recipes I've tried (and loved!):

One-pan chicken burrito bowls

5-ingredient white chicken chili 

Butternut squash breakfast skillet (I used sweet potatos instead!)

Eggplant pizzas


* Half/Full Marathon Training

I can honestly say it's going well.  I'm transitioning to full marathon training at this point, and I LOVE working with a coach.  My week usually consists of a speed workout, a few easy runs, strength sessions, and one long run on the weekends.

* Concerts

My girlfriends and I partied "all night long" last weekend at the Lionel Richie concert.  Honestly, he was AMAZING.  The man NEVER took a break, and he was so cheesy that you couldn't help but love him:)

image
("But let me start by saying…I love you." - I think "Hello" is my favorite song ever.)

Lionel!
(Sally, Christy, Julie and myself.  We have tickets to see Billy Joel at Wrigley Field next month, too!  BOOM!)

* "Driveway Surfing"

Even though we have a back patio, Mike decided he would buy us some ridiculously comfortable chairs so we can sit out in our driveway at night.  At first, I thought he was nuts - but we have so much fun just talking after Layla goes to bed.  Plus, we've met several of our neighbors as a result.

image

(Layla approves of the chairs!)

What have you been doing this summer???






Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. Suburban mommyhood ROCKS! Just saying...
    Glad you enjoyed LR and I can vouch for BJ he is crazy talented and amazing in concert.
    The comfy chairs in the driveway at night sound perfect! No mosquitoes though. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those recipes look awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm still waiting for my summer to start....6 more days!! With snow days and starting after Labor Day we are still learning!! Layla is just adorable!!!! Enjoy this time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Layla is so cute! Her little face is adorable. Being home in the summer is the best. I go through periods freaking out that I should be doing something constantly and hurrying and then realize I don't have to! We are watching the third Harry Potter right now enjoying the foggy morning. Being a mom and living in the suburbs is in no way lame...just a new kind of fun as you had mentioned. Good to see what you guys are up to...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SOOOOOOO jealous you get to see Billy Joel next month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're summer sounds amazing so far! And thanks for the recipes, definitely going to check 'em out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so jealous you get to see Billy Joel! He's been my favorite since I was a little girl!!! :) :)

    Looks like suburban mom suits you. I know Layla's a fan!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you are having a fabulous summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...