Anyway, one of the earliest musicals I can remember seeing on the stage was a local production of "West Side Story", which quickly became my favorite musical as a child. I remember completely geeking out over the fact that we played songs from the soundtrack in band (Bet you didn't know I was a band nerd, too…)
Along with WSS, I saw the following with my mom:
Grease
Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (with one of my early crushes, DONNY OSMOND!)
Showboat
Wicked
Mary Poppins
With friends, I have been able to see:
Dirty Dancing
The Book of Mormon (Twice - once with girlfriends, and once with Mike)
And on Broadway, I've seen:
Jersey Boys (Twice - once with my mother-in-law, and once with my mom)
Hair (with Mike - he hated it and asked if we could leave at intermission. In his defense, he promised to buy me lots of wine and dessert...)
The Phantom of the Opera (with students on a school trip)
I am sure I am missing a few, but I can honestly say that Jersey Boys, Wicked and Book of Mormon are at the top of my list.
Are you a fan of musicals? Which one is your favorite?
Book of Mormon and Rent are my favorites live oh and WIcked!!! But I will say that I saw Priscilla Queen of the Desert over the summer and if you love Disco its kind of a fantastic musical
ReplyDeleteI enjoy them, but have only seen a few. I've seen Grease, Wicked and Mamma Mia.
ReplyDeleteI LOOOOVE Musicals too! Every since I was a kid. My favorite is Wicked. Also loved Legally Blonde and Book of Mormon!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy going from time to time, especially now that my bf and his family enjoy going at least a few times a year. We saw Book of Mormon last year and are looking forward to Motown the Musical this spring!
ReplyDeleteA post after my own soul! Yes, I love theater. I've seen so many, it's hard to pinpoint them. The Book of Mormon was hilarious, Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables are great, and Wicked was spectacular. I wish they would have shown Love Never Dies in America. I'm a huge Andrew Lloyd Webber fan, and saw this while in London.
ReplyDeleteYou have seen so much! That is awesome! This post is so timely. I heard the main song from Once a few weeks ago and again today... I was that in NYC in Feb 2012! I think it's a sign I need to download the song!
ReplyDeleteI was also a band geek and my appropriately, my favorite music ever is The Music Man. My favorite musical growing up was Godspell.
ReplyDeleteI love musicals! I go to about 4 or 5 a year and have since I was about 10. I think my favorites are Chicago, Wicked, and Cats. I also really loved Legally Blonde. Ha.
ReplyDeleteHello Dolly is this weekend.
DYING to see Book of Mormon.
I love musicals too!!! I can't go as often as I'd like because we don't have many around me, but I saw my first real musical almost 2 years ago (Wicked) and instantly became in love with all things musical!! Hoping to see Book of Mormon in May! :)
ReplyDeleteUm, hello. Do you know what I do for a living? Oh and I also teach a musical theatre class. So I pretty much live and breathe it day to day. I've lost count of what I've seen live, but I will never forget my first musical- Cats. Saw that when I was 12 when it traveled to Houston and it was life changing. I get all mad when people hate on Cats! Haha. I think my favorite stage musical of all time has to be Les Miserables, though.
ReplyDeleteYessssss! I love musicals! My favorites are Annie (duh, how could it not be?) and Bye Bye Birdie. The latter is because I played in the pit orchestra for that one in my senior year in high school, and we in the pit were all just OBSESSED with it. Also, somewhat lesser-known fact about me is that I went to an all-girls school, and the fall school musical was one of the rare times we actually interacted with *gasp* boys! Honorable mention includes Cats, Phantom and Tommy.
ReplyDeleteI haven't been to a lo but my all time fave is phantom of the opera! I always attempt to sing along lol
ReplyDeleteI LOVED Joseph and the Tech Dream Coat! I'm not a huge fan, but I've seen Phantom, Lion King, Once, and Nice Work if You Can Get It. I would like to go to one a year, and these snowy days are the days to go! My friends were in Grease, South Pacific and Cinderella, but sadly I was never able to go!
ReplyDeleteI have actually on seen one musical on stage, but it was on Broadway and I saw "Miss Saigon" and love it. I would love to see Mary Poppins someday, can you believe I didn't see the movie until I was 19 and lived in the USA.
ReplyDeleteI've been obsessed with musicals since high school when the drama club did Hello, Dolly. Columbus gets pretty god Broadway Across America shows and my favorites have been Wicked, Les Mis, and Mary Poppins. We got tickets for Christmas to see Book of Motmon in May and I can't wait!
ReplyDeleteI've only seen Hairspray and Wicked. Wicked was so amazing.... I can't wait till it's here again to see.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had more of an appreciation for musicals, especially now that I live so close to Broadway. I've seen Miss Saigon and Phantom, which I loved, but I was not a fan of Chicago and a few others....
ReplyDeleteLuckily my 8-year-old is far more cultured than I am and appreciates musicals!!
Yes - love, love, love! I'm fortunate that I've been to lots of Broadway shows - I remember the first one I saw when I was 10. Fun fact, I almost (but chickened out)auditioned for Cabaret in 1998 or 99. They were having a non-equity audition, but I got cold feet. Can't wait to see the revival this Spring!
ReplyDeleteOh I knew it. We are twins...hehe. I love Musicals. Grew up with them and wherever mom and I went we would go to one. My favorite to this day is still Miss Saigon. I saw it in London and it took my breath away. Also, when we saw it the performers were one of the best ones apparently. Two years or so later they switched everything and everyone. Glad I went. I've seen so many musics it's crazy. Couldn't name them all the list would be huge. Haha. I never saw musicals with friends though. None of my friends love them. :(
ReplyDeleteAw, I love musicals!!!! I'm sure she will love them just as much as you!
ReplyDelete