12.11.2013

Layla's Birth Story

So, I wasn't sure if I was going to write this post.  I didn't think the story would appeal to my general readership (Do people REALLY want to read about childbirth???), and I don't have many photos to accompany the post (Because let's be real - the last thing on my mind while in labor was documenting the process). However, I decided to write this, simply because I will have the chance to look back on it someday and share it with Layla.

(If you don't want to read about how she came into world, you may want to close out of this now...)

I was fortunate enough to have a very easy pregnancy.  I remained active for most of it, and besides nausea in the first trimester, I felt pretty great throughout.  As a result, I was told by many that I'd probably have a pretty easy delivery / recovery.  The recovery part?  Yes.  I am now 4 weeks post-partum, and I have been working out for 2 weeks.  Overall, I feel amazing.  But the delivery?

That's another story.

In order to refrain from making this too long and wordy, I thought I'd present the labor and delivery process in a timeline fashion.

Saturday, 11/2 - My official due date.  At this point, I was experiencing contractions but only 1 cm dilated (based on an earlier appoinment that week).

Monday, 11/4 - My 40 week appointment.  I had progressed to 2 cm, but beyond that, no signs of labor.  My doctor and I scheduled an induction for Friday, 11/8 at 11:00 p.m.

Thursday, 11/7 -

7:00 p.m. - After walking 2+ miles with my mom, I came home, sat down at the kitchen table...and my water broke.  Everywhere.  It was seriously like a scene right out of the movies:)  Mike wasn't home, so my mom came over to stay with me until he arrived. Since I had tested positive for the strep B virus (very common in pregnant women), I knew that as soon as my water broke, I had to go to the hospital right away.

9:00 p.m. - We arrive at the hospital.  I am examined in triage before I can be admitted.  It's also unusually crowded that night in Labor and Delivery, so since I am not very far along, I have to hang out in triage until I can be moved upstairs.

Friday, 11/8 -

12:30 a.m. - We're finally admitted and check into our room (which is the BOMB DOT COM).  I am given pitocin to speed up contractions, which, at this point, don't really bother me.

3:30 a.m. - I've progressed to 4cm, and I decide to get the epidural.  The epidural doesn't "take" on my left side, so the anesthesiologist returns several times throughout the morning.

At this point, I tried to get as much sleep as possible, but with people constantly coming into the room and checking on you, it's difficult to do so.

Honestly, from 4:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m., things are a little hazy.  I feel great, and I know I progressed nicely, but I don't remember much.  I DO remember Target calling me around 10:00 a.m. to schedule the delivery of the glider for Layla's nursery:)

12:00 p.m. - The room is set up for delivery.  My doctor, plus two nurses and Mike, are in the room, and we start pushing.  (Note:  I was horribly nervous at this point.)

The thing about pushing with an epidural is that you "think" you're doing it right but it's difficult to tell when you can't feel a thing.  I do know that Layla was "right there" - meaning, she was SO close.  But, I just couldn't push effectively to get her out.  We tried several different positions, but it just wasn't working.

3:00 p.m. - At this point, I was exhausted, and my doctor suggested the use of forceps.  She knew I did not want a c-section, and this was our best bet after pushing for 3 hours.   I was petrified, as I had never even considered forceps as an option, and I was terrified that they would hurt my little girl.  However, because she was so close, my doctor assured me that it was perfectly safe and giving her a little nudge would help tremendously.

And BAM!  Like that, it seemed as if there were 30 people in the room.  The anesthesiologist returned to drug me up for the forceps, and two more doctors actually inserted them.  Then, in the event that I needed an emergency c-section, there was a team ready to go, plus another team ready at the baby's station for when Layla appeared.

And I lost it.  I started crying hysterically because I was so scared, yet so excited to meet our baby girl.  The forceps were used to get her head out, but then I pushed a few more times, and...

3:46 p.m. - Layla arrives!  At birth, she was 8 lbs., 7 oz. and 20.5 inches! Her coloring was perfect and boy, did she come out with a set of lungs!  I was so overwhelmed with emotions, and I just couldn't believe that we created this perfect little girl.  When you carry a baby for 9+ months, SO many thoughts fly through your head.  What if she's sick?  What if something goes wrong?  But for her to arrive safely and healthy and OMG, so adorable - it was such a relief!



image

She's here!  I wish I could articulate exactly how I felt, but it's the most incredible feeling in the world:)  There were lots of tears of joy!

7:00 p.m. - We are moved to a recovery room (with THE most incredible lakefront view!!!), where I am now crying tears of pain.  My epidural wore off an hour or so after delivery, and I had a hard time getting comfortable.  The nurse gave me painkillers, which helped tremendously.  

A few things to note:

* I hadn't eaten a full meal since Thursday around noon.  Mike went out and got us dinner on Friday night (Cheesecake Factory!), but I still couldn't eat.  I am not sure if it was the adrenaline or medicine, but I pretty much went 36 hours without eating.

* Nursing in the hospital was a bit of a struggle that first night, and she had to have a little formula to increase her sugar levels.  Now?  She's a rockstar!

* I couldn't believe how many people constantly came into the room, between nurses, doctors, midwives, etc.  I barely slept that first night, but Layla was knocked out for five hours!  (And the nurse was horrified I didn't wake her to eat - I didn't know I was supposed to!)

Saturday, 11/9:

* We had tons of visitors on Saturday, between my parents, my in-laws and my brother and his girlfriend.  However, despite all of the chaos, Layla was SO calm and alert!

image

Sunday, 11/10:

* 11:00 a.m. - We are discharged and head home!  While I am SO excited to bring our little lady home, I have to admit that I was terrified at the same time.  The hospital staff was so incredibly supportive and helpful, and I was afraid of messing things up royally.

Anyway, that first week home was equally wonderful and frustrating.

* I struggled with painful nursing, which got SO much better after a lactation consultant came to the house to help.

* I was still in a lot of pain from delivery.

* Layla had a super successful appointment with the pediatrician and we were so happy to hear how healthy she was.

* We had a few visitors who were SO supportive and helpful.

However, I NEVER would have made it through any of this without Mike.  He held my hand (and leg - poor guy!) the entire way.  Watching him with Layla those first few days made me fall in love with him all over again.  He continues to be such an incredible husband and father, and we are both so lucky to have him.

 image

Honestly, the childbirth experience wasn't exactly what I anticipated, but looking back, it was even better.  I know this is going to sound weird, but I will never forget the feeling of pushing a child out of me.  I will never foget how I felt when I heard her first cry.  I will never forget how my husband looked at me.  To say that this experience has changed me is an understatement:)  It's exhilirating and terrifying and amazing and painful and everything in between.

Thanks for reading along!  Our little lady came into this world kicking and screaming, and I have a feeling we're in for a wild ride:)

Photobucket

30 comments:

  1. I sobbed reading this. KNowing you all these years and watching you be pregnant with Layla even though I thought she had a different name for a few months I am so excited shes here and I cant wait till A and I come to Chicago and get to meet her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your incredible birth story. Crying at work. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, I'm crying too :) I am so incredibly thrilled for y'all. I prayed for her for so long, and she is a wonderful, perfect answer to those prayers. I can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love birth stories! It fascinates me how each one is different but they all have that amazing they are here moment. With you and Bekah and Kelly all having your babies not too far apart the thing I'm reminded is labor rarely goes perfectly. Those first few weeks rarely go perfectly either. You did and are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written! It's such a blur isn't it? The forceps thing would've scared me too. Here's to many more exciting stories to tell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing! I am beyond nervous to give birth come June but at the sametime I am excited. Your story helped ease the nerves :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me tear up! I love birth stories :) it's crazy how much of my labor I don't remember. It's just fuzzy for me. Getting sleep in the hospital was impossible for me because I was being checked on every half hour! So happy she arrived safely and that you're feeling great now! It's wonderful to feel semi normal again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm tearing up reading this. It is such an amazing experience, and definitely one you will never forget! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love birth stories.. maybe it's because I have three of my own. I've noticed that they're letting mother's get active a lot sooner post partum now than when I had mine. I was told to wait 6 weeks before starting any exercise.
    I can also tell you that there is a HUUUUGE difference in recovery if you don't require stitches. I needed them with the boys, but not Jolie & it was night and day how great I felt after giving birth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, what a story! Poor you, giving birth seems to be painful, no matter which way you do it (my friend had a c-section and really hurt afterward). My mom seems to think it was a piece of cake, but that was 30 years ago lol. She's a doll, I know I've said this before, but it's so true - most babies don't look super cute fresh out of the oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally made me cry and I think it's sweet when men aren't only great husbands, but they are also great daddies and it sounds like Layla already has a great one! Congrats once again :) xo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aww! I love reading this and am so happy you decided to share it with all of us! The human body fascinates me and it's amazing to hear these stories. :)

    And how the heck were you supposed to know you were should have woken her up to feed her? LOL :)

    I love hearing what a wonderful father Mike is and that it made you fall in love all over again! Aww :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so so so happy for you. You worded those feelings perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Forceps sound scary but it sounds like they worked. Even though you had the epidural could you feel the forceps at all? I had a c section and had an epidural which got rid of the pain but I could still feel pressure. Love that you and Mike are enjoying all the small moments of parenthood. I remember the first time I saw Tommy hold Collin I was so overwhelmed with emotion. It's hard to put it into words but it just made me love Tommy that much more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My story is very similar except my water didn't break. The epidural worked nicely for me. I didn't really feel a thing. I couldn't tell if I was doing it right. They ended up using the forceps and Dain had a bit of a conehead for 2 or 3 days. And I was downright petrified from the time I got to the hospital until he was in my arms. Then I was fine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would have freaked out about forceps! So glad everything went well in the end though - that's the thing about labor, you never know how it's going to go!! And I can't believe you were working out two weeks after giving birth - I had to wait an entire 6 weeks (maybe because I had a bunch of stitches and then I kept ripping them out from doing too much....).

    ReplyDelete
  17. So I gotta say... typically I steer clear of birth stories. They kind of freak me out and make me never want to give birth.

    But. I read this. And your story actually makes me not so totally freaked out. Not sure why. Not to mention the fact that I've got tears in my eyes.

    So now Izzy can come thank you for getting my bio clock ticking ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww, thank you for sharing this! It will be great for you to go back and share it with Layla someday (and re-read it yourself)!

    That is hilarious that Target called you while you were in labor with her!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for sharing!! Such a beautiful story and she is gorgeous!! I know you are loving your new job as Mommy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that you wrote this for Layla and she will too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy sigh. What a beautiful story! I love reading birth stories because each one is so unique, it's like there's no right or wrong way to have a baby. All that matters is that they come out healthy! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Although it may not have been ideal, it's still a great birth story. :) I have to say, I think I'm the only person in the universe that had an epidural but could still feel all of the pushing! It took away my contraction pain, but pushing, not so much! But now I know I could probably do it without the epi. Congrats again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aw, my eyes are totally watering over! I'm so glad you shared this. It sounds like it was a great childbirth and I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I assume it's because of my mom's line of work, and the stories she's told me, but I am always interested in reading birth stories. Every one is different! It's kind of crazy. Anyway, thanks for sharing, I'm glad to hear you had a successful vaginal delivery! (That sounds weird ... I blame my mom.)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love birth stories, I have no idea why but I'm always fascinated reading them, I think because each one if so personal :) I'm so glad you shared! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Aw, your end to this post brought tears to my eyes. Even though I had a c-section with my first, I'm hoping to have that experience of pushing my baby out this next time around. I don't doubt that it's hell but I want to experience it.

    Sounds like you rocked it, mama. Way to go! And I'm glad you shared the story. :)

    (Meaningless side note: our daughters weighed exactly the same at birth, and heights were off by only 0.5"!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...