5.13.2013

The Time I Pulled a "DNF"

Months ago, I mentioned that I was registered for the OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini-Marathon in Indianapolis on May 5.  I have participated in this race for four years now, and it just might be my favorite half-marathon.  First of all, it's the largest half in the country with 35,000 people.  Secondly, Indianapolis is a great city, and they work really hard to create an amazing event for all of those runners.  And to top it off, this course holds my 13.1 PR!

When I found out that I was pregnant, I had every intention of running the race.  My doctor was very clear about the fact that I could maintain most physical activities since I was already pretty active.  Her rule of thumb?  As long as I am not gasping for air, I am fine.  I slowed my pace down significantly and figured I'd just run slow and enjoy the training.

(Side note:  I know some people may disagree with me here.  Every pregnant woman is different, and every doctor gives different advice based on their patients.  Some stop working out altogether, and some continue as normal.  My doctor and I discussed my fitness in great detail, and I have followed all of her advice and instructions.)

And then, the dreaded "morning sickness" kicked in.  Except for me, it was more like "afternoon/evening" sickness, and I spent many afternoons after school, nauseous as hell.  And on those afternoons, running was the furthest thing from my mind.  All I wanted was my couch, some crackers and my DVR.  And as a result, any motivation I had went right out the window.  I actually started taking more Bar Method classes (which I already loved) since they were low impact and for some reason, seemed to relax my stomach.

However, the weather magically started to turn just as I was hitting my second trimester, and like that, I was ready to run again.  I knew that I was undertrained for the half-marathon, so I went to Indy with every intention of running the 5K.  At dinner, the night before the race, my husband and I began to discuss the possibility of a longer distance (I knew I could handle at least 6 miles or so - especially since I would be running much, much slower), and we hatched a plan for the next morning.

(Side note:  We stayed at the uber chic The Alexander in downtown Indy.  I am making a vow, here and now, that when I do run the full half next year, we WILL stay here again.)
IMG_2287

The plan?  I would start the half.  I would take it mile by mile, stopping at every single water station, walking when I needed to, etc.  I wouldn't log any miles under a designated pace, and I'd pay attention to my body and communicate with my husband.  I was SO excited to be running that I actually found myself crying...twice.

Miles 1-5 felt pretty incredible, and I knew that as I was approaching the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (kind of the best part of the race - you get to run a lap on the track), Mike would be waiting with the car.  I could stop at any time.  Right before entering the track, I saw him, told him I felt great, and that I was going to run the loop.  This took me through miles 6-8.

Y'all, I had SO.MUCH.FUN.  I was just so happy to be running, and as much as I wanted to finish the race, I knew that stopping was the smartest idea.  Unfortunately, I had miscalculated the loop, and by the time I exited the speedway and got to a safe place to stop, I had hit 9 miles.

So, I logged my first "DNF" (Did not finish) with no regrets.  I made a decision that was right for me at the time, and as mentioned earlier, I was just so happy to be running again that I could care less about not crossing the finish.  I know many of you asked me how the race went, and I was very vague with my answer.  I hope you understand why - I just didn't want to launch into a full explanation over social media, knowing that this post was coming:)

And of course, that didn't stop me from celebrating and eating ALL OF THE FOODS.


IMG_2293

Have you ever DNF'd?  

Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Aw you're so smart! I think "morning" sickness is such a crock, because SO many of my friends got sick in the evening! You're not alone! They should just call it first trimester sickness ;-) I haven't had a DNF yet but I did have one DNS. I ran a half and three weeks prior to the DNS half, and that morning it was 42 degrees with down pouring freezing rain. I decided it would be better to DNS than be miserable and slip on the asphalt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm proud to say I never DNF'd... maybe because I have never entered a race:) If I had I would probably have dnf'd a few times.
    I think the best advice for excersise while pregnant is to listen to your body, if it feels okay then go ahead, and if you are all ready active before getting pregnant it will be no problem. I guess if you never have been running you shouldn't start training for a marathon when you get pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you ran this race very smartly - great job!

    I've never had a DNF but I had a DNS last year for the 5/3 River Bank Run 25k. I had a stress fracture & was in a boot but still in total denial. Right up to the expo I said I would still do the 5k. Nope. Spectated. This weekend I crushed my PR from 2011's 25k :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy you were able to get out there and go 9 miles! That is awesome! You ran such a smart race. And I love that you loved it :) Sounds like a fun little weekend getaway, too!

    I have not DNFed, but I have had to DNS due to injury and once, because I could no longer afford to travel for a race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought I'd be the girl that ran 13.1 while prego. It's funny what your body will stop you from doing. You're absolutely right, you have to listen to your body. I had to quit running completely around 16 weeks because of belly pain (just too much bouncing). Spin still feels great (thank goodness!), so that's been my go-to cardio. I'm excited to get back to the pavement in August/September! Nice work with your 9 miles!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clearly the food is the most important part here. I'm so happy you took a DNF, that's really hard mentally but to know your body so well and to do it is SO important and so impressive. <3 u!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you made a good choice, listening to your body, especially when you're pregnant, is so important. Way to go running 9 miles though! And wow that place looks fantastic, as does all the food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I DNFed a half marathon when I was pregnant too. I felt like my heart was going to beat out of my chest and I just no longer felt comfortable. I knew stopping was the best bet. I don't know how so many women can run through the nausea. It totally made me go to bed early and pray I didn't puke again. Running was the farthest thing from my mind in that phase! Lol. Glad you and Baby are doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really seems like you made the best decision to run as far as you did and not over do it. 9 miles with a bebe on board is really impressive! That hotel you stayed at looked fabulous! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had no idea what DNF was until I finished this post. haha! I am pretty amazed that you ran as much as you did, having dealt with morning sickness & all the other things that pregnancy brings. I'm glad you feel good about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well you're preggers and run far more than I do (considering the only time I run is if I'm at work and really need to get to something quickly). Sounds like you did amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think running through pregnancy is great! If you get a chance, you should check out Tracy's blog sealegsgirl.blogspot.com . She's not pregnant right now, but has run through both of her pregnancies (including a marathon at 30+ wks I think). You might have to dig a little, but she's a great supportive resource.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am due in November as well, and I also have had evening sickness! It is the worst! Good for you for listening to your body during the race! Sounds like a great time regardless! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. 9 miles is still amazing! Great race!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You did the right thing and I am so proud of you! You are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you did what's best for you and little tape and that's what matters!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I personally think it's amazing when women can keep up their workout routines when pregnant. I could barely walk or stand long when I was pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you had a great time even with the DNF, I think you played it smart!

    I have had a DNF, I was injured and still tried to run a 15K. I made it two miles before I called it quits.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...