2.13.2012

My Quiet Little Weekend.

My weekend, much like my life lately, was quiet.  With an out-of-town school retreat AND Blissdom coming up, I have reveled in the silence.


On Friday, a quiet snow fell on Chicago - the second snowfall we've seen all winter!  Between catching up on the DVR, fro-yo and the hubs, it was a perfect way to end the week.

IMG_1130

It was certainly a far cry from THIS scene, a mere two weeks ago!

IMG_1119

On Saturday morning, I had 8 miles to tackle on the treadmill.  However, because I was running in honor of Sherry Arnold, the fact that I was stuck inside AND sporting a slightly sore hip didn't stop me.

For those of you who aren't familiar with Sherry's story, she is a wife, mother and teacher who was reported missing while out on her Saturday morning run in Montana.  After weeks of searching for her and combing for clues, two gentlemen were arrested for involvement in her disappearance and one admitted to her murder.  Sherry was just one mile from her home when she was abducted.

Her cousin Beth, the genius behind "Shut Up and Run", organized a virtual run in Sherry's honor.  It's been an inspiration to see so many bloggers come together and support one of us who suffered while doing the thing we all love.  You can read more about the virtual race, and Sherry, here.

I felt like a jerk that I forgot to actually print my bib, but here I am before the run.  (I know.  I'm so gorgeous you can't stand it.)

IMG_6355

Much of my run was spent thinking about Sherry and this senseless loss felt by many.  We all run, each and every single day.  This could have happened to anyone.  And so Sherry, I ran for you.  I didn't complain about running on the treadmill like I normally do.  I didn't freak out about a slight hip soreness.  I just ran.  8 miles in 1 hour and 16 minutes.  I thought about you and your family and friends.  I prayed for all of you - that everyone who knew you has found some peace and comfort despite this tragic loss.  


************************************************************************************


Later that evening, my friend Meghan hosted a dinner party with a theme!  This month's theme?  "Food on a Stick"!  Needless to say, it was quite a success:


IMG_1133

IMG_1134

I swear, everything tastes better on a stick (or with bacon) and I cannot wait to see what next month's theme will be! Between good friends, good food and great wine, what more do you need???

The weekend wrapped up with a quiet Sunday, filled with a wonderful Barre Bee Fit class (my review coming soon!) and brunch with dear friends and a cute baby at SOLA in Chicago's Lincoln Square neighborhood.  Sigh.  What a perfect weekend.


How was your weekend???


P.S.  I have lots of exciting news/posts coming up.  Get fired up!

Photobucket

18 comments:

  1. wow girl busy busy but looks like it was so much fun :) Can't wait to hear this exciting news you have planned!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a really fun dinner party. Congrats on running 8 miles for Sherry. What a great tribute to a great woman, whose life ended way too short. That's so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran thinking of Sherry as well. Such a sad story, but she was honored beautifully. I did my longest run yet, of 8.36 for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy that you ran for Sherry! I had NO CLUE that this virtual race was happening this weekend, otherwise I would have gone for an 8 mile walk (still not allowed to run yet). And I can't wait for your exciting news/posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am EXHAUSTED from my weekend, way too much work.

    I'm excited to see some of those future posts.

    And how sad about Sherry. I hadn't heard about her story until now but stories like that are always so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sherry's story is so heartbreaking. What an incredible way to honor her memory though. I think it's wonderful that you thought about Sherry and prayed for her friends and family while running. That sounds like the perfect way to spend your eight mile run!

    Your dinner party looks delicious and fun! I love any party or dinner with a theme :)

    Looking forward to those upcoming exciting posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an awesome weekend!! The food on the stick is hilarious and delicious looking. WHAT a gret cause for a race too. Wow. So scary and sad :-( But a great way to remember and honor her, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had a great weekend! We also got snow here in Western New York, but that didn't stop my husband and I from running for Sherry!

    I love that party theme, so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so saddened by Sherry's story. It is so scary to think that could have happened to anyone. I cannot imagine what her family must be feeling right now.

    It sounds like you had a nice weekend. Ready for BlissDom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your weekend sounds so much more exciting than mine. :) I only went to see a movie which was out of my unfortunate weekend routine...haha! :) Other than that I stayed home, on the sofa, curled up with blankets, and watched a ridiculous amount of TV. Hahahah!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had a nice relaxing weekend :). So jealous of your Blissdom trip! I'd love to meet all of ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, so. Your sweet tribute to Sherry made me tear up! Such a tragedy. I do pray that her family is able to take even a tiny bit of comfort in the love sent out for her. And the difference her life has made to so many. Thank you for running to honor her memory.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't you love those quiet moments? Especially living in the city, it's rare to have them. When snow falls, I feel like life stands still to gaze at the beauty of white flakes. Phew that was deep. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so wonderful for doing that run. Such a sad story. The party looks like it was a blast! You definitely have it right, bacon and sticks can make anything better!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i hadn't heard about sherry... so sad. such a great idea to honor her though.

    and i want to have fun themed dinner parties, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Meghan! Thanks for your sweet comment! No need to feel inferior girl because I love your blog, thank you so much for sharing about your virtual run, very inspiring.

    Also, JEALOUS of your snow!!!! We hardly ever see it in SC, and when we do, we usually declare a state of emergency :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think that's great that you ran in her honor. What a horrible thing to have happened.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...