And here we are, almost three years later. While I am not as stick thin as all of the lululemon-clad instructors, I am stronger. I can do 70 push-ups in one class. My thighs are thinner. While I still may "shake" (this is a good thing!) during thigh work, I take less breaks. My abs are more defined. And while I might have a pain or strain here and there, I know this barre class has helped my running significantly.
Bar Method classes are sixty minutes long, and in that hellish hour, the class "integrates the fat burning format of interval training, the muscle shaping technique of isometrics, the elongating principles of dance conditioning, and the science of physical therapy to create a revolutionary new workout that quickly and safely reshapes your entire body."
In other words, it sucks. But you will feel amazingly accomplished afterwards! From arms to thigh to butt to abs, this workout is organized and contains just the right amount of "I want to die" and "This feels so amazing".

The dreaded thigh work, where uncontrollable shaking is encouraged!

The "seat work" portion of class. They asked me to serve as the "ass model" but I declined.
I've noticed that in the past year, barre-based classes have become all the rage. Here in Chicago, Bar Method and BarreBee Fit seem to be the two most popular. I've attended BarreBee several times, and while I'll always remain partial to Bar Method, I do love BBF for the following reasons:
* The music is top notch! From Michael Jackson to Madonna to "Glee", I always find myself singing along.
* It's $5 cheaper per class!
* They also offer Bardio Barre and Barre Burn, which takes place in a heated studio.
* The studio? It's flipping ADORABLE!


Again, they wanted to photograph my abs, but I didn't want to show anyone up...
No matter where I am, be it Bar Method or BarreBee Fit, I will always love the feeling I get after a class. In fact, I am so enthralled with barre classes that I will be checking out the Pure Barre studio when I'm in Nashville (thank goodness for THIS girl who doesn't mind working out at 6am on vacation) AND hopefully Physique 57 when I'm in New York (once again, with the same crazy girl).
Do you love barre classes as much as I do? Do you exercise on vacation???
Never heard of that, but I'm definitely on the search now!
ReplyDeleteOk I am so jealous that you get to go to these classes! I always see your tweets about them and am curious.... now, you better bet I'm going to be finding a place near me with barre classes! I used to do ballet and the barre was my favorite part of class! Although I'm sure it's completely different, I'm still excited to try! :)
ReplyDeletePersonally I like Barre Bee Fit because they throw some cardio in there and there's no "correcting" but I'm more sore afterwards which makes me think the corrections at Bar Method are worth it. I'm also curious to check out the other Barre Bee Fit classes like the kick boxing one they're adding. Either way, both are great workouts, and I love making faces at you in the mirror!
ReplyDeleteWe don't have that kind of thing in small town, VA :) however, I am too cheap to pay to exercise ;)
ReplyDeleteThat's hilarious. It sounds like a great class, too!!
ReplyDeleteI'm liking Bar Method so far but like you, don't like to be corrected. But I figure they're doing it to help me, right? I think the more I do it, the less dreaded it will become - even the thigh work, which is my least favorite part of class. ;-)
ReplyDeleteTo be honest I'd never even heard of these classes till you mentioned them. I wonder if they even do them around here? I'll have to look into it.
ReplyDeleteThis is the first time I've ever heard of barre classes, and now I am very curious! I would really like to try something like this out since I feel like I spend my time at the gym on the treadmill, elliptical, and bike but hardly ever using weights and toning myself.
ReplyDeleteYes, I exercise on vacation. No, I've never tried Pure Barre, but I'm dying to. I should google to see if there are any classes near me...
ReplyDeleteAfter hearing about these classes from other people, I really want to try them! There isn't a studio near me, so I bought a video to try. When I visit my sister this summer, we're going to take a class and try it out! I can't wait to!
ReplyDeleteI've hear so many of y'all raving about the Barre Method. Maybe when my training schedule calms down I'll see what Dallas has to offer. I mean, with the ringing endorsement y'all give, it's GOT to be good!
ReplyDeleteI love the Bar Method. Did a few classes in the burbs by my work before I moved. It is so tough. I was intimidated at first by all the "pro wives" as in NFL, NHL, etc ladies there...but whatevs.
ReplyDeleteI try to exercise on vacay, depends on what we are doing. Prety easy when I am in the midwest, bc we love the water. Swimming, water skiing, you name it. I am always exhausted after a day at the lake!
I figured I was the crazy person but I had to click to make sure :)
ReplyDeleteI figured I was the crazy person but I had to click to make sure :)
ReplyDeleteI should try this! I will have to research for classes in my area (western New York). Oh and My husband and I are running in the Rock 'n' Roll Chicago half marathon in July!
ReplyDeleteGosh, you make me go want to work out my arse right now. Ha!
ReplyDeleteThat does look tough, but now I want to try it! And that studio is really amazing and modern looking!
ReplyDeleteI don't know how close a barre method class is to ballet but that's what I do and man, it is the freaking best work out in the world. Sometimes I leave and my legs are still shaking. I love it!
ReplyDeleteBarre! Little pulses, like your clenching a pencil behind your knee! OUCH! Yes I do work out on vacation. Last summer vacation I was in marathon training and managed to run every day, even if it was one mile! This upcoming vacation, well, hydrating may prevent a hardcore work out, but I'm going to try my darndest! Half marathon training waits for no one!
ReplyDeleteI would just like to note that there are 4 different Kristin's who commented on here with 3 different spellings...it's the little marvels that get us ;-)
ReplyDeleteWhile I do appreciate this post, the most pressing comment I have for you right now is...70?! You can do 70 pushups?! You're a machine!!!!
ReplyDelete