Happy Monday “The Perfect Compilation Tape” Readers!
I am Jeanette, one of Meghan’s adoring sorority sisters and writer of Audacity. Throw back to Sorority days, now:

Me, Leah, Meghan
When Meghan was planning for her European tour de force, I had to offer a guest blog, as she got me back into blogging this past March (thank you Meghan).
Since Meghan is a hug fan of my former (and soon to be again) hometown, NYC, I thought I’d write an ode to the mysterious NY Vibe.
What is this elusive Vibe you ask?
Well, it’s this amazing sense of what’s coming next that you acquire from living in NYC. New Yorkers just pick up on the next big thing. I will give you a personal example…
In 2005 I was strolling around the Upper West Side, as I was apt to do, and I noticed an outdoor bookseller. These are fairly common throughout the neighborhoods of Manhattan. A book called Edie: American Girl caught my eye and I had to snatch it up. The book, a biography of 60’s It-girl and Andy Warhol muse, Edie Sedgwick, struck a cord with me.

I was Edie obsessed, so much so that I cut off my long brown hair to a short blond pixie a la Edie.

Then the Vibe came into play. All of a sudden there were Edie Sedgwick screen test T-shirts being sold at Urban Outfitters, Andy Warhol totes everywhere, and a film staring Sienna Miller (Factory Girl) coming to a theater near you. Now, I’m not for a second saying I was involved in setting this trend, but it found me before the world found it.
New York does this. It’s a city that is alive with art, style and energy.

Have you ever had a trend find you first? Spend a little time in the Big Apple and you’ll be setting them constantly.
Great haircut!
ReplyDeleteSuch a great way to describe NY!
ReplyDeleteI love New York and the fact that you just posted about it. So much.
ReplyDelete