There. I said it.
Don't get me wrong. This little baby growing inside of me is a major blessing, and I wouldn't change it for the world. BUT, I cannot deny the fact that pregnancy changes things, and while it might sound selfish, I think it's also natural to miss certain things about my "old life".
Like running.
Granted, I have been active throughout a majority of my pregnancy, and actually stopped running altogether at 29 weeks. Since then, I've taken a ton of barre classes (which stopped around 34 weeks when I moved to the 'burbs) and have been walking 2 miles or so almost every day. But I can't help feel a tiny little twinge of jealousy when I see so many people racing and knocking out intense workouts.
So, it's only natural that I've started compiling a list of running-related goals for next year...right? RIGHT?
1.) Run with friends. And drink wine. Or both.
From last fall's ZOOMA Great Lakes half-marathon after-party!
If you know me well, you know that when it comes to new people, I can be very shy. As a result, when I was living in Chicago, I never took advantage of running with others along the lakefront path, attending blogger events, etc. And "just" when I was about to feel comfortable doing so, I got pregnant. So...my first goal is to make new running friends. Thanks to Kelly, I am SUPER excited to join a local running club when I am ready to get back into it.
2.) Have FUN.
(Coincidentally, this is the only running top that still fits my 38 week baby bump. A related goal? Buy running apparrel that actually fits. Here I am before the Indy Mini-Marathon in 2012.)
While I do have time goals in mind for certain distances (Hello, sub-2:00 half-marathon), one of the things I learned about running while pregnant is that being able to do so was a gift. I felt so lucky to get out there each day that I could have cared less how fast I was running.
Also, when I signed up for races with friends in the past, we all used to go our separate ways after the start. My husband often asked me what was the point of running with friends if we didn't actually stick together. SO, I'd like to make sure I actually run races for fun and not always for time.
3.) Tackle new distances.
I felt like Stella in that I got my "groove" back in early 2013. I felt strong and injury-free - and then came baby. I know that these past 10 months have changed my fitness level, but when I DO return to the running scene, I have some longer distances in mind that I'd like to tackle. My immediate goals include several half-marathons (my favorite distance), but whether it's 2014 or not, the full marathon is definitely on my radar.
4.) Also related to #3 - STRENGTH TRAINING
When I stopped running, I started amping up my barre classes to 3-5 times/week. OMG. It made such a huge difference. I was holding stronger planks and had better push-ups at 30 weeks pregnant than when I was without child. Knowing that I am capable of so much more (coupled with the fact that Pure Barre is opening a location in the 'burbs!!!), I feel like I'll have plenty of opportunities to keep it up.
I am sure my goals are a bit premature, as I have NO CLUE what's going to happen when the baby lady arrives. Plus, I am certainly not going to rush this - I'll be taking whatever time I need to recover and adjust. However, it's fun to think about the possibilities:)
Do you have any fitness related goals for the upcoming months?
I've tried so hard to stay active during this pregnancy and during yoga my flexibility at 9 months pregnant is better than pre-pregnancy. Lately I've been itching to be able to do more- I am not a runner at all but it's been something I've been wanting to do and I can't wait for spring when I can start running with our jogging stroller! I know it will take time to get back to where I was physically but as soon as I get the OK from the doctor I'm hoping to get back to a regular workout routine while still taking it slow.
ReplyDeleteI don't think it's premature to start planning and dreaming - that is how things get done! That is a great list. Fun is usually my #1 goal! I hope you do run a race with friends! I really enjoy it!
ReplyDeleteFitness goals for the upcoming month... I would like to build a stronger core - I will measure this by amount of pushups I can do and how long I can hold a plank :)
Strength training is a MUST!! It really helps with running goals! And you can definitely crush these goals, but definitely take some time to get back in the swing of things.. and running with a stroller is some good bonding time, right??
ReplyDeleteYes! I want to get back into Yoga and Zumba. I had surgery in August on my nose, and it has been tough getting back into it. At least now I can breathe:)
ReplyDeleteI have exactly 8 months before our wedding and my fitness goals are to actually find a routine, stick with it, and maybe lose some weight from that fitness between now and then!
ReplyDeleteI think this is a good thing. If you didn't miss running, I think you would have a hard time getting motivated!
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to get back into running post-injury slowly but surely. I have the Hot Chocolate 5k, Turkey Trot 10k and probably a Christmas race coming up! The more fun, the better in my book!
I never thought I would miss running so much! I DID "run" (maybe more like a wobble jog) when I was 38 weeks hoping it would help get the baby out (it didn't) - but I stopped at 26 weeks with my last pregnancy (didn't run with the others) and man, that was a longer wait than finding out the sex of the baby. The return has been a little bumpy - but it really does feel SO GOOD to get back out there again. My goal is my first postpartum half -- in 3 weeks. And I agree on the strength training. I kept it up while pregnant and it really paid off - especially during labor and delivery!
ReplyDeleteAww! I can't wait for you to get back to running! These are great goals and fun ones too!
ReplyDeleteFor us we are going to be focusing on getting faster and stronger on the bike, and working on tri training in preparation for our full Ironman! Plus, I have a sub-4 marathon goal now!
My mom does a Zumba class somewhere near y'all if you ever wanna give it a try. She had back surgery last year, but should be about ready to return to classes.
ReplyDeleteAlso? I CRAVED beer with my pregnancy with Jolie. The funny thing is that I don't even LIKE beer. But I needed it, like bad. So I would make Joe drink and then kiss him so I could taste it. He didn't complain too much.
ReplyDeleteOh I envy your want (and will) to workout! I need your motivation!
ReplyDelete