So needless to say, I was hesitant to set resolutions and goals for this year. I figured that for where I am at in my life, committing to a single word was a much better path.
I've seen tons of bloggers do this, so I thought I'd give it a try. And after several days (I mean, I am writing this on January 9th, so it's more like weeks…), I've finally decided on my word:
BALANCE
Before Layla was born, my life consisted of: my husband, work, working out, and meeting up with friends. Now, things are drastically different. With a little baby, it's difficult to hit up a new restaurant at the drop of a hat, and while I am working out almost every day, I usually have to coordinate my workouts with Mike's work and/or Layla's nap time. And when I return to work full-time next month, it's going to be a completely different ball game.
So yeah. Balance. I suppose it means that I want to do my best to balance everything I have going on in my life while maintaining my sanity. I want to be "present" with everyone and everything I do.
How is this going to work? Well, I am not entirely sure, but here is what I'd like to concentrate on:
* My marriage. I want to continue to be the best wife and partner to my husband. Lord knows things can get crazy with a new house and new baby in tow, so I think it's important to make sure Mike and I set aside time for us, be it date nights, or simply putting down our phones when we're home together.


* My daughter. I want to be the best possible mother to Layla. I am dreading the very thought of returning to work and leaving her for so long. Therefore, I want to make sure that when I am home, my focus is solely on her and her needs. I think part of this, too, is having confidence in my ability to be a mother. I constantly wonder whether I am making the right decisions, and I have to remember that as long as she is happy, and Mike and I are happy, then we're doing what is best for us.

(Layla enjoying our first run/walk in the BOB!)
* My job. I simply LOVE my job. But, I have to admit that at the beginning of the school year, I felt a little distracted. We were in the process of buying a home, and I started the school year 28 weeks pregnant. I want to make sure that when I am at work, I give it my 100% attention and effort so that when I leave for the day, I don't have to take my work home:)
* My friends. My friends have been so incredibly supportive of my journey as a new mother, though I am sure I have let them down at times. I think the key to balancing my friendships is to plan ahead OR find opportunities to balance other things I love with them, like going out to dinner and working out.
Do you have a 2014 "word"? If so, please share!
I love your word, and I love your goals for this year! I know you're going to do amazing with them too.
ReplyDeleteUh, I think I've decided my word is Oregon. :)
I love having a.word. mine this year is inspirit which means to instill life and courage :)
ReplyDeleteBalance is something we can all improve on! I love the areas of your life that you are choosing to work with and striving to be the best you can be in each way! My word was contentment. I've been struggling the past 2 years with being content in each "current" situation. Life will never be exactly where I want it and so I'm striving to find contentment in the here and now - even if I'm still unsure what the heck I want to do with my life and I'm currently living with my parents lol.
ReplyDeleteI love this! I think you've picked the perfect aspects of your life in which to incorporate your word into!
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of a word of the year, but I just can't come up with one. I really love the one you chose though - the parts of your life you definitely want to balance are so important and i know you can do it!
ReplyDeleteI love your goal word. I can only imagine how such a major life change would require you to find that balance all over again. Great goal!
DeleteThis is a great word for 2014 for you! I think that having balance at any point in your life is important, and you chose four wonderful things to focus on :) Love that photo of Layla in the BOB!
ReplyDeleteI think this is a great word for you for this year. I actually posted about my word today!
ReplyDeleteI think that is a wonderful word to live by this year! Balance is definitely something I need in my life this year, as well.
ReplyDeleteI love your word! I, too, need balance in all of these areas in 2014. Going back to work in a few weeks will be a challenge for me. But, I am committed to leaving work at work...my family is my priority more than ever!
ReplyDeleteBalance is a great one, and a tough one. Mine is CAN, as in dammit yes I CAN!
ReplyDeleteYour daughter is a doll!!
ReplyDeleteYou can get there... with the balance :-) We all need it in our lives!
Balance is a perfect word!! I feel like it's been my "word" for the last 5 years or so, haha. It's a good word for this year too! I guess I would also add "joy" since there's so much good stuff coming our way this year - the end of law school, two awesome vacations, my full therapy license, and new stuff at work. It's so exciting!!
ReplyDeleteI really like the idea of a word, rather than resolutions! I think resolutions are really hard because, as you said, it's hard to know how your year is going to pan out in January. But no matter what happens, you can always work on something like balance in all areas of your life.
ReplyDeleteI love this idea! I've been giving my word a lot of thought!
ReplyDeleteThat is a great word. I am trying to think of one, but all that comes to mind is "survival". Work is going to be crazy this year, a lot of inspections and sea time, followed by a wedding! I am lucky that I am crazy at planning, otherwise my word might be something else!
ReplyDeleteI love your word! Those are great goals!
ReplyDelete